Wednesday, October 14, 2009

It happened over coffee..............

I have a regular group of people that I meet with every Monday morning over coffee. We discuss everything. Politics, religion, sports, current events, and even farming. We have decided that there is no taboo subject. Well, at least it used to be that way. Something happened this week that is at the same time disturbing and indicative of our society. And, lest you think I am pointing fingers, I want you to know that I have been guilty of the very thing I am calling out.

We were teasing around about nationalities. I, being the only Norwegian heritage person at the table, said that the greatest Norwegian joke I had heard happened last week when the Nobel Peace Committee awarded President Obama the Peace Prize. I suppose a hand-grenade would have had less impact than that simple phrase.

I was lambasted, chastised, and shouted down. Any attempt on my part to enter the debate was met with louder opposition until I just exited the conversation. I turned my attention to another of our party and changed the subject, but the tirade continued.

All this leads me to the point of this post. What happened to civility? Joe Wilson calls out the President of the United States and I hear some conservatives say it was a good thing (I disagree). I express my opinion about an award and I get shouted down without a chance to defend my position. What has happened to civility? I am not saying we need to engage controversial topics with a lack of passion or zeal, but we need to be polite. No name calling, no shouting. Just because I disagree with a certain committee's choice does not mean I am a "hater".

I have been guilty of the same when I was defending the unborn. I didn't listen to the other side. I just got louder. And louder. And louder. I don't think this is pleasing to our Lord. Paul said, "Let your speech always be with grace, as though seasoned with salt, so that you will know how you should respond to each person." (Colossians 4:6, NASB) It is not gracious to shout the opposition down. It is not gracious to refuse to listen with respect. Not respect for the position, but respect for the person.

I wish I could say this was limited to conversations with unbelievers, but I have also seen it at denominational meetings. It is one thing to disagree, it is another thing entirely to beat down someone who has been created Imago Dei (in the image of God). Let me issue a challenge to those who call Jesus Christ Lord. Let's lead by example. Let's restore civility to conversation. Let's make sure our conversations are "seasoned with grace."

No comments: