Thursday, January 17, 2008

I'm a slacker, but I finally have something to say

So much has happened in the months since I last posted. I really don't know what to say about all that. If you know me, you know it has been a very challenging (yeah, that's the word we are supposed to use, not difficult, draining, exhausting, debilitating, depressing, etc.). Let me just say I hope God is done giving me opportunities for growth for a little while. I don't know how much more growth I can handle. (And, yes, I know God is the one who determines how much I can handle, not me.)

But that is not why I chose to post today. I chose to post about something that I am already tired of and not looking forward to in the next 10 months or so. I think the word for it is "Race 08". And really, I only have questions at this point with no answers. Questions like, why do we have to choose the next president in January when the Constitution clearly states that the general election is to be held in November? Why have some evangelical leaders decided that protection of the unborn (while very worthy) is the only cause we are to be concerned about? What about the war on terrorism? What about our downward spiraling economy? What about our upward rocketing energy prices? What about the rising costs for our farmers? What about feeding the poor? What about caring for the downtrodden?

The easy answer to the last two is that evangelicals should be doing those within their churches. We should not be expecting the government to do it for us. But certain evangelical leaders have decided that we should go along with a candidate's stance on everything else as long as they are pro-life and can win the election. I have a problem with that. What if they are pro-life, but anti-Christian? Think it can't happen? What if they are pro-life and anti-right to bear arms? Life is important and innocent life must be protected, but it is not the only fish in the barrel of our country. We need a candidate who can address ALL of our concerns, not just a pet few. Oh well, I guess I have rosey glasses.

I will study the candidates. I will make an informed decision, but not until the primary here and ultimately in November. Selling me with sound bites will not work. The candidates need to write position papers on many of the pressing needs of our nation. Will it happen? I doubt it. So, I'll have to do the work of discernment by watching and reading everything they say. Difficult as it will be (and the biased press certainly doesn't help), I am committed to making an informed choice.

Now, if we could just find some good news to report instead of polls about who might get elected...

No comments: