Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Or.....

I am not going to deny that I have sometimes placed my desires ahead of God's, but I don't know if my particular problems in the last few weeks are related to that or the fact that I have disobeyed one of the "Big 10".

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a sabbath of the LORD your God; in it you shall not do any work, you or your son or your daughter, your male or your female servant or your cattle or your sojourner who stays with you. For in six days the LORD made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day; therefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day and made it holy." (Exodus 20:8-11, NASB)

Can I share with you a little secret? This pastor must have thought he was Superman, because, as I look back, I went 20 straight days without a day off. Now, sometimes it seemed that events conspired against me. But sometimes I just made bad decisions to work. Yesterday, I took a "mostly" sabbath. And I think I need to rename my day off to my sabbath. And I need to remember the commandment that says to do NO labor on that day. For me, that means turning off my computer. If you know me, you know that will be difficult. It also means I will be taking the idea of rest more seriously.

Let me tell you what I think I need for rest. Rest is not me being lazy on the couch all day long. I got some rest on Monday of this week by weeding my vegetable garden and cutting my lawn. It is restful for me because it has absolutely nothing to do anyone else. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy being with people. I love my church family, but sometimes I just need to be alone with my God. And if I understand the Fourth Commandment properly, that is what the sabbath is supposed to be. Time spent away from our earthly labors and time spent with God. I believe it is the right thing to do to spend a few hours of my sabbath playing with my children. I believe it is the right thing to do to spend time with my wife. All of these are restful to me. However, my email, my books, my e-books, the internet, and the TV are all things that quickly drag me back to my work. I can't read a news article without wondering if it would make a good sermon illustration. I can't read my email without thinking of how I need to reply, or what I need to do. I can't read books (other than the Bible and devotional books) without thinking of how I can use what I have just read in ministry. In short, the line between my vocation and my life becomes very blurry.

So, I commit here, in a very public way, to turning off my computer for at least one contiguous 24-hour period per week. I will read my online devotions and then shut-down until the next day when I read my devotions again. This will be a challenge for me, but I must do it. I need it. My family needs it of me. And my God commanded it of me. I must obey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I pray that You, God, will grant Pastor Tony, according to the riches of Your glory, to be strengthened with might through Your Spirit. Eph. 3:16

I pray that he can do all things through Christ who strengthens him.
Phil. 4:13