Friday, July 15, 2016

Imago Dei

In the very first chapter of the Bible, we read these words, "So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them." (Gen 1:27, ESV) In the wake of the insanity that has dominated the headlines for the last couple of weeks (perhaps longer), I am heartbroken that these people, created in the image of God, have been slaughtered so callously. I have seen Christian friends try to vilify one side or the other. My intention is to not really vilify anyone, but to call fellow Christians to something different.

It is easy to get sucked into the latest debate about whose life matters more. However, as I read my Bible, I see that to our Creator every. single. life. matters. Discrimination based on color, language, age, nationality, religion, or anything else debase those created in the image of God.

Jesus came to redeem people of EVERY tongue, tribe, and nation for himself. And for those who are saved, the Apostle Paul makes it clear that there should be no division. To belong to Jesus is to put off those things that identify us with this world and put on a new identification.

Friends, no life matters more than any other. I wonder if God is pleased when Christians refuse to be reconciled. I wonder if God is pleased when we post memes that denigrate one group of people or exalt a different group of people. I wonder if God would like to remind us that we are strangers and aliens. That we are not of this world. That our value, our very lives, are not going to be won or lost in the debate of who was right or who was wrong. There will come a day when all will be made right. The Great Judge will, with perfect accuracy, divide the sheep from the goats. Until that day, Christians are called to make disciples of Jesus. So ask yourself this simple question, "How will my words or actions give me the opportunity to talk to someone about Jesus today?"

And then join me as I weep and pray for the lives that were considered so cheap. For the loved ones left behind. "Amen. Come, Lord Jesus!"

No comments: