Wednesday, March 02, 2016

Surely, you shall reap what you sow (a rare political post from me)

Four years ago, my son was eligible to vote in his first Presidential election. He was excited right up until he started researching candidates. He called me and kind of whined, "Dad, I don't know who to vote for. I don't like any of them." And thus, the next generation got to join in the "lesser-of-two-evils" method of selecting a president. Four years ago, those on the right were encouraged to support Mitt Romney since he was "the only candidate who can beat Obama." He lost to President Obama. But Mr. Romney was not a true conservative. There was much in his background that should trouble conservatives. But vote for him because he can win. Need I say it again? He lost. But the compromising began. It probably goes back further than just four years ago. I just don't remember.

Fast forward to today, many of my friends are advocating for Mr. Trump because he can defeat Ms. Clinton. I won't vote for Donald Trump, ever. I am not willing to vote for someone who has absolutely zero conservative principles just because he can beat the other side. Make no mistake, I will vote. And I will most likely vote conservative, which means I simply cannot vote for Mr. Trump. My plan is to write in a true conservative. Someone will accuse me of  "throwing away my vote" by going against the "chosen" candidate. I would be throwing away my vote to vote against almost all of my values by voting for Mr. Trump. If enough people would vote like this we could break the choke-hold of Republicans and Democrats.

I don't think there is much of  a difference anymore. Republicans claim to want smaller government and do nothing to make it happen. Democrats claim to want to bolster up social programs and do nothing to make it happen. It's no longer about differences in the role of government, it is about getting elected (or re-elected). I'm done having my vote pre-counted because I am a Christian. Who will join me? The USA was founded as a representative republic, but it has become an oligarchy. Ruled by the wealthy with lip-service paid to those who don't have money. I'm done with that system. Who will join me in writing in a different candidate than the chosen 2? Are there enough true patriots left to truly reclaim the great experiment called America?

No comments: